As part of our Dr. Seuss celebration, I read Bartholomew and the Oobleck to J. Saturday morning we made Oobleck! There are actually two ways to make it but the easiest is with cornstarch and water. It is a great activity to do with kids of all ages. J loved making a mess in the kitchen but older kids can turn it into a science lesson about polymers. I know, I know...I sound like such a teacher but it is fun! Here are the pictures to prove it.
J played with it for a while. I am still finding streaks of cornstarch on my counter but it was worth it. Imagine making this with 25 first graders. This is what we were making the day I lost my engagement ring! Now that's a good story.
Oobleck Recipes:
1/2 cup cornstarch
almost 1/4 cup water
couple drops green food coloring
Add food coloring to water. Pour over cornstarch and stir. You may need to add more cornstarch if it is too runny. It is just right when you can hit it hard and fast with your fist and your fist doesn't sink. You should be able to scrape it up with your fingers but then let it drip back into the bowl. It is a solid and a liquid at the same time! Amazing!!
OR...
1 1/2 cups very warm water
2 cups elmer's glue
food coloring
Mix together. In a separate bowl, mix
1 1/3 cups very warm water
2 teaspoons Borax
Combine both mixtures and knead together. Discard any remaining liquid. You should end up with a substance that feels and looks like Gak.
Have fun!
"Go make the oobleck tumble down on every street, in every town! Go make the wondrous oobleck fall! Oh, bring down oobleck on us all!" -Dr. Seuss
Cranberry Holiday Simmer Pot
14 hours ago

Mica, I love reading about all the fun things you do with your little ones. It makes me really miss having little grandchildren. And, your mom's beautiful creations make me nostalgic about seeing what all the beautiful little girls wore in Nashville every spring. Christa made many, many beautiful dresses for Emily when she came along. Of course she is saving them for her granddaughter. Will that make me a great-grandmother? Oh, my, but surely that will be many years hence. Thanks for inviting me to read your blogs. Love them. Tell all your family hello for us. Beverly
ReplyDelete